Stephen Colbert. Can I say enough good about him? In fact, I cannot. There is so much I like about him. One of the things I like about him is that he did the following on Day 3 of the shutdown:
- Invited an engaged couple, whose wedding at the Jefferson Memorial was cancelled due to the shutdown, on to his show;
- Brought their groomsmen and bridesmaids on the show too;
- Dressed in a long red robe;
- Got Mandy Patinkin to sing a “non-denominational Jewish blessing” to the couple;
- Married the couple– by the power vested in him by the certificate he’d obtained online, and;
- Got Audra McDonald to sing the couple’s first dance– Billy Idol’s White Wedding.
I just saw this in a rerun tonight. If you have not seen the whole thing, it’s fun to watch. The couple is so young and cute! And there’s even a bit where he calms the bride’s nerves about getting married about on TV. She carries one of his emmys as her wedding bouquet. Also, I want the bride’s hair. The episode is split into 2 parts on colbernation.com. Due to technical ineptitude/bad luck/both, I can’t figure out how to embed the videos here, so I give you links, and I say unto you: lo, you should click them.
It’s like he took shutdown lemons, and made shutdownade. Let this be the first of a list called You Know What? Some Nice Things Happened During the Shutdown.